Thanks to the donor who saved my life

Coeur d'Alene Press | Dave Babb

Today, thanks to a person I will never meet, I will wish myself a Happy Birthday. I was actually born in June 1956. But last year, on Sept. 13, I was fortunate enough to receive a liver transplant at the University of Washington Medical Center. This day has now become my second birthday.

Approximately 20 years ago I was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis, a disease which has an unknown cause and ultimately results in liver failure and death. The only "cure" for this disease is organ transplantation. At the time of my diagnosis, I was told, "Don't worry about it. Someday you may need a transplant, but if so, that's a long time from now." Well, contrary to the old adage, "someday" does come.


After nearly two years of being on the waiting list I began experiencing significant liver failure and rapidly deteriorating health. I would take my phone everywhere I went for more than 22 months. I jumped every time it rang hoping I was being summoned for transplant. Over time my test results became more critical. I began to wonder if I was one of the many people who could not hold on long enough. As time was running out, I got "the call" on 9/11 of last year.

My wife and I urgently boarded the MedStar air ambulance bound for Seattle. The professionals at MedStar were wonderful and I can't thank them enough for getting me there on time. At Boeing Field I was transferred to a ground ambulance and rushed to the University Hospital. For the next three months I received care that I'm sure is unsurpassed anywhere in the world.
______________________________________________________ 
"You have the power to SAVE lives." 
To register as a donor TODAY
In California: 
www.donateLIFEcalifornia.org | www.doneVIDAcalifornia.org 
Outside California: 
www.organdonor.gov | www.donatelife.net

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media Advisory - Facebook® Announces the Availability of Organ Donation Tool in Canada

Wisconsin Mother to Honor the Life of Her Daughter at Rose Bowl Parade

"You Saved My Life" An Ohio donor family will meet their loved one's organ recipients for first time on Fox's Mobbed